The Frederick Church of God was founded on August 19,1951 by a group of lay ministers. It started with 15 charter members. The Reverend Bion Cecil was pastor of the church from this time until 1957. For the next twenty years different ministers who stayed for 3-month to 3-year tenures pastored the church which was located at 55 Winchester Street in Frederick Maryland.
On August 20, 1978, Pastor Jerry Price came to serve the Frederick Church of God. The membership roster listed 36 people, and attendance that Sunday was 48. It was at the beginning of Pastor Price’s tenure that the name of the church was changed to represent what he believed was God’s vision for the church. It became Maranatha Church of God.
From that time, God had richly blessed! In 1981, the church purchased property at 1440 Taney Avenue in Frederick, Maryland. Maranatha expanded four times until the property would allow no more room for growth.
The current 22-acre property located at 123 Byte Drive off of Hayward Road in Frederick, Maryland was purchased to allow for the much-needed expansion of the church’s ministries. The building was ready for occupancy in November of 2002.
Again, the name was changed to clarify God’s purpose and vision for the church. It became International Community Church of God, a church which now serves the Frederick Community and is “dedicated to equipping God’s people for life-changing ministry that impacts the lives of individuals, families, communities and the world.”
Building champions for the kingdom to fulfill God’s purpose and destiny for our lives
We adopted a set of four commitments which reflects our core values in fulfilling our vision:
1. Rescue – Winning the lost, unchurched and seekers.
2. Transform – Experiencing Life Change through Spiritual and Emotional Healing
3. Disciple – Equipping God’s people for Ministry according to God’s destiny for their lives
4. Commission – Entering the Harvest to make other Champions for God